Because the Indian aviation industry is expected to be the third largest in the world by 2024, a career in ground staff in the airline sector can be a wonderful option in the future. The employees stationed at various airport locations as ground staff care for the requirements of travelers both before and after flights. They are in charge of responding to many questions from guests about flights, making bookings, checking bags, etc. Candidates must enroll in a variety of aviation management courses at the diploma, undergraduate, and graduate levels in order to pursue a career as ground personnel. To get admitted to the best aviation institutes in Kolkata, applicants must have completed their 12th class or the equivalent. Let’s dive deep into the Guide to become a ground staff.
Eligibility to become a ground staff
- Students who are going to build a career in ground staff must have cleared the 12th examination with a minimum of 50 % marks from any recognized board.
- There may be entrance examinations and group discussion sessions in certain institutes. It is dependent on several institutions.
- A diploma in airport ground staff training could be a plus point.
- Students who have studied post-graduate programs in airport ground staff training are also welcome.
The required age range for applicants seeking employment as airport ground staff is 18 to 27 years old.
Steps and Guide to become a ground staff
candidate must have passed the higher secondary examination in any stream. In some institutes, Admission is based on passing the prior qualifying test, which is the 12th grade in any stream.
After completing the 12th examination in any discipline, applicants can pursue a Post Graduate Diploma in a relevant profession, such as Post Graduate Diploma in Airport Ground Staff Training, to increase their chances of getting a job in this sector.
The aspirant might apply for jobs with various local or foreign airlines or the Indian Airport Authority after obtaining the necessary qualifications to work as airport ground staff.
Here are some top 4 institutes in Kolkata that offer ground staff course
- Aptech aviation
- Camellia Institute of aviation
- Frankfinn institute of air hostess
- JT airways
Candidate should have
Problem-solving skills- The most important qualities required for airport ground staff are diplomatic abilities, the flexibility of attitude, great communication, and organizational skills because they spend a lot of time interacting with passengers. Airport ground staff must be able to handle situations in all circumstances.
Communication skills in English – An airport ground staff member’s ability to communicate in English is a plus since she constantly have to interact with people from different cultures who speak various languages.
Organization skills – candidates should handle different situations at the same time. Hence they should have strong organizational skills.
Teamwork – When it comes to increasing organizational effectiveness, teamwork is one of the most crucial strategies. Although everyone may agree that collaboration is crucial, not everyone is aware of its importance in the workplace. Sometimes problems come from nowhere and you have to work as a team to solve the problem as fast as possible.
Multitasking – all the ground staff members should possess multitasking abilities. You need to handle multiple tasks at the same time. That’s why it is important to have a strong multitasking ability.
Soft skills – The airport’s ground staff, who work in shifts, are important to everyday operations. They are in charge of handling passenger questions, cleaning the cabin, providing cuisine, selling tickets, and organizing, overseeing, and managing flight operations.
Technical skills – sometimes You might need to conduct some numerical tasks as part of your profession. This can entail counting the number of passengers or controlling financial transactions if passengers make purchases during the journey. You might also need to be familiar with how to estimate currency conversions using exchange rates.
Interpersonal abilities – Airport ground staff must be patient and friendly, with the capacity to deal with individuals and their belongings under pressure. As they are in charge of all the passenger’s needs after they have landed, airport ground staff must be in good physical and mental health as well as have the endurance and stamina to work long and unpredictable hours.
Responsibility – The candidate should have some experience in customer service while looking for a prominent career in ground staff.
Roles and responsibilities
In the airport
- They provide the comfort and safety of an airplane’s passengers. This involves helping travelers with luggage check-in, giving them information on safety, verifying their bookings, and selling tickets.
- Organizing wheelchairs or other forms of transportation for passengers who are disabled or have mobility issues to the departure gate also falls under your purview as ground crew. The ground staff may also help with check-in, boarding, and release of the child to a parent or other authorized person once the aircraft has landed.
- To give every passenger comfort during the flight, ground staffs restock all the necessary items for the journey before passengers board the aircraft.
- They are responsible for in-baggage checking and making sure that the cabin baggage is eligible to size, weight, and content.
Outside the airport
- handling the loading and unloading of all passenger baggage from the aircraft and delivering it to the traveller.
- helping to advise and appropriately guide travellers when they arrive at the airport.
- directing the planes that are landing at the taxi places.
- offering passenger services at the arrival area. Like, a few steps from the airplane for staff and passengers to depart.
Summary – In this article, we he discussed step-by-by guide to become a ground staff in India. A certified airport ground staff has several work options in both the public and private sectors. The career options are endless in this sector. One can work in many positions in ground staffing for indigo, Air India, the AirPort authority of India, or any of the major private participants in the market, including Jet Airlines and Go Air.